Thursday 28 January 2010

Don't bring me down - Electric Light Orchestra

A common mondegreen in this song is the perception that, following the title line, Jeff Lynne shouts 'Bruce!' However, he is actually saying a made-up word 'Grroosss'. After the song's release, so many people had misinterpreted the word as Bruce that Jeff Lynne actually began to sing the word as Bruce for fun at live shows.

Released as the third single from their 1979 album 'Discovery', 'Don't bring me down' was actually the first ELO single not to feature a string section. The single reached number 3 in the UK singles chart, number 4 in the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and number 5 in the Dutch Top 40. During its chart run I thought I saw this single in the discount bin, but I had a big blackout, as I came home with 'Shine a little love'. I bought this single 16 years later.

My collection: 7" single no. 2441
Found: August 26, 1995
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Don't bring me down' / 'Dreaming of 4000'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising