Tuesday 22 December 2009

D'you know what I mean? - Oasis

Noel Gallagher commented about 'D'you know what I mean?': 'I was going to make up some profound statement in the chorus but I couldn't come up with anything that fitted. Then I just thought "All my people right here, right now. D'You know what I mean? Yeah, yeah" Very vague, very ambiguous, that'll do. Look in the mirror and wink while you're singing it and it's quite saucy. And I fucking love that line, "Coming in a mess, going out in style". We were a bunch of scruffs from Manchester and we're going out in a Rolls Royce'.

The song was released as the first single from Oasis' third album 'Be here now'. Although the track clocks in at a lengthy six minutes, it was never edited for radio. The single reached number 1 in the UK singles chart - as had become tradition with Oasis singles - but also topped the charts in Finland, Ireland and Spain. In the Dutch Top 40, 'D'you know what I mean?' reached number 25. The 7" single was released in a gatefold sleeve.

My collection: 7" single no. 2861
Found: Record fair, 1997
Cost: 10 guilders
Tracks: 'D'you know what I mean?' / 'Stay young'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising