Sunday 1 November 2009

Thieves in the temple - Prince

'Thieves in the temple' was the last song to be recorded from Prince's 1990 soundtrack album 'Graffiti bridge'. The song sounds rather different than other Prince tracks, including Middle Eastern melodies, a synth bass and syncopated drum machines. Prince also sampled a harmonica solo from a recording by the Chambers Brothers.

When released as a single, the track reached number 6 in the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, number 7 in the UK singles chart and number 5 in the Dutch Top 40. Still, it's not one of Prince's most memorable track. Even Puck, who is a huge Prince fan, didn't remember the melody of this track recently.

My collection: 7" single no. 2514
Found: Record Exchange, London, October 30, 1995
Cost: 60p
Tracks: 'Thieves in the temple' / 'Thieves in the temple (part 2)'

1 comment:

  1. 'Huge fan, huge fan'. Let's say I have some albums of the man in my collection. I became a later fan when I heard Musicology. And... uh... I don't like Purple rain so much :-s

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising