Monday 26 October 2009

My name is Prince - Prince

'My name is Prince / And I am funky' has to be one of the immortal lines from the Nineties. It's a quote from the indispensable Prince song, 'My name is Prince'. Some might say that this single was the turning point for Prince. He'd recorded so many albums that he apparently suffered from a lack of inspiration, writing a song about himself and his musical abilities. It reeks of selfgratification.

It's interesting to note that he changed his stage name to an unpronounceable symbol not long after the release of this single - taking his career into a nosedive in the process. This single, however, reached number 7 in the UK singles chart and the Dutch Top 40.

My collection: 7" single no. 1745
Found: Virgin Megastore, London, October 19, 1992
Cost: 2 pounds
Tracks: 'My name is Prince' / '2 whom it may concern'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising