Thursday 17 September 2009

If I was - Midge Ure

'If I was' was written by Midge Ure and Danny Mitchell. The track features Mark King from Level 42 on bass guitar. Ure commented about the track: 'This song is pure Danny Mitchell. I found a demo of it on a cassette Danny had sent me for his band The Messengers. I grabbed it with both hands, messed around with it, sprinkled it with fairy dust and the rest is history.'

Indeed: the single reached number 1 in the UK singles chart and number 16 in the Dutch Top 40. It was a hit all over Europe, launching Midge Ure's solo career with a bang.

My collection: 7" single no. 736
Found: All that music, Leiden, February 9, 1989
Cost: 2 guilders
Tracks: 'If I was' / 'Piano'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising