Wednesday 26 August 2009

I should be so lucky - Kylie Minogue

I never shy away from a good debate, especially when it takes place on this blog. So when Jos asked me why in God's name I bought singles by Risqué, I can't help but reply (while of course respecting the fact that there is no accounting for tastes, indeed). Within my collection there are certainly some artistic highs and lows. I love the good, the bad and the ugly. But most of all, I like pop. And it's true, a lot of pop music is not sung by the ones on the sleeve (and when it is, it is usually 'polished' in the studio), the music comes from session musicians - but it is always produced well. Does it matter that the guys from Milli Vanilli or Boney M didn't sing their stuff themselves? I think not; 'Daddy cool' and 'Ma Baker' are still pop classics.

All this to conceal that I bought a lot of Kylie Minogue singles - after she became 'cool' when she started working with Manic Street Preachers in 1995. So did she sing this debut single herself? I think so - it sounds irritating enough. But look here: two decades on, she's a star. And she's already performed this very song in about ten different arrangements - including a ballad and a variety showband version. Creativity knows no boundaries.

My collection: 7" single no. 3316
Found: Record fair, Utrecht, March 24, 2001
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'I should be so lucky' / 'I should be so lucky (instrumental)'

2 comments:

  1. Oh well, for one guilder you did quite well!!

    Jos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcel, we have a something in common!!! I didn't know you were such a fan of Japan and David Sylvian.
    In my days as a student in 1984 and further I collected everything I could find about Sylvian and Japan.
    During that period they were quite obscure in the Netherlands, so this was my thing!!!

    Keep on posting!!!

    Jos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising