Thursday 13 August 2009

I don't like Mondays - The Boomtown Rats

'I don't like Mondays' was written by the lead singer of the Boomtown Rats, Bob Geldof after he read a telex report at Georgia State University's campus radio station, WRAS, where he was giving an interview. The report was about Brenda Ann Spencer, aged 16 at the time, firing at children playing in a school playground across the street from her home in San Diego, California. She killed two adults and injured eight children and one police officer. Spencer showed no remorse for her crime, and her full explanation for her actions was 'I don't like Mondays, this livens up the day'.

Geldof had originally intended the song as a B-side, but changed his mind after the song went down well with audiences on the Boomtown Rats' US tour. Spencer's family tried unsuccessfully to prevent the single from being released in the United States. It reached number 73 in the US Billboard Hot 100. In the UK, it was a number 1 hit, and in the Netherlands the single reached number 2. The single was one of two singles I got from my parents as a birthday present.

My colection: 7" single no. 27
Found: present, August 31, 1979
Cost: nothing
Tracks: 'I don't like Mondays' / 'It's all the rage'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising