Monday 13 July 2009

What's a matter baby - Ellen Foley

Ellen Foley was born on June 5, 1951 in St. Louis, Missouri (USA). She gained high public recognition singing the duet with Meat Loaf on the hit single 'Paradise by the dashboard light' from the 1977 album Bat out of Hell. Although Karla DeVito is featured on the music video, DeVito is lip synching to Foley's vocals.

Ellen Foley's debut album 'Nightout' was released in 1979. It featured the hit single 'What's a matter baby', a hit that peaked at number 7 in the Netherlands. The album was produced by Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson. Foley recorded a duet with Ian Hunter in 1980: 'We gotta get out of here'.

My collection: 7" single no. 1972
Found: October 16, 1993
Cost: 0,25 guilders
Tracks: 'What's a matter baby' / 'Hideaway'

2 comments:

  1. LOVE VINYL, LOVE ELLEN and I LOVE THIS SONG!!!
    (about my lip syncing: I cried my eyes out when i got to the film shoot and found out we weren't playing live! When it was time to form the band Meat and Ellen couldn't stand being in the same room together and i got hired for the gig. I had just finished a month of rehearsal for the original release of BAT OUT OF HELL and crazy/endless monolithic/Monsignor Loaf world tour that put the record on the map all over the planet...so what's a girl to do? There is always Meat and me doing Paradise live on The Old Grey Whistle Test if you can handle loads of sweat!)
    Or if you want to hear MY style of vocals LIVE with my own band supporting my own epic 1981 LP IS THIS A COOL WORLD OR WHAT?! (me finally free to be me!) check out the 11 clips from my MTV 1982 rockin new years eve concert posted from my personal archives at KARLADEVITO on you tube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOYiQNXju18

    Marcel -- thanks for music on VINYL!!! Can't wait to hear The Shirts next!!!
    ps. back in the day when Ken Russell was directing and wanted me to play EVITA Andrew said Kim Wilde was first in line for the Another Suitcase role...I was a big Kim fan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that really Karla? Is this a cool world, or what? Love the CD (yours, Karla, with interview) and anything Foley (which is how I found my way to this entry). Thanks for the 'music on vinyl'!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising