Sunday 12 July 2009

Le freak - Chic

Chic's Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers created 'Le freak' on New Year's Eve 1977. They were invited at the famous Studio 54 discotheque but they weren't let in by the doorman after their contact forgot to leave their name at the door. They went back to Rogers' apartment and started jamming. The song was originally entitled 'Fuck off', but during the night they decided to change that into 'Freak out', and subsequently named the song 'Le freak'.

The track with the now-famous Chic riff reached number 1 in the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and was the highest-selling single on Warner Bros. records until it was replaced in 1990 by Madonna's 'Vogue'. The single also reached number 7 in the UK and number 2 in the Netherlands.

I bought the single in 1992, years after its original release, because for a decade I didn't actually like the song. The second time I bought the single was in 1998 when I thought that I didn't have it - but of course I did. Fortunately I now have two different versions of the single, with the second one I bought having the most beautiful sleeve of the two (pictured below).

My collection: 7" single no. 1792 / no. 3043
Found: All that music, Leiden, November 25, 1992 / Disco Market, Den Haag, December 11, 1998
Cost: 3,5 guilders / 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Le freak' / 'Savoir faire'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising