Wednesday 10 June 2009

Manhattan skyline - A-ha

A day at the record company's office

'So we're going to release a third single from A-ha's album 'Scoundrel days''.
- 'Oh? Which one?'
'I think we should take 'Manhattan skyline.'
- 'Really? You do know it's almost five minutes long, don't you?'
'I know. We should make an edit.'
- 'An edit? How in God's name would you do that?'
'Well, you start by cutting the intro'.
- 'Okay, done. Now what?'
'There's bound to be some repetitive bits in that song. Aren't there?'
- 'Well, there are. But should we really edit them all out?'
'Yeah, no problem. No-one's paying attention to that stuff, it fills up the album nicely but on the single you need to keep up the pace.'
- 'Well if you say so... it's a waste, but okay... done. Now what?'
'What's the running time now?'
- 'We're down to 4 minutes 15 seconds.'
'Okay, good enough. We don't have to spend too much time on this.'
- 'B-side? What do we stick on the B-side?'
'Oh, just take a live track or something.'
- 'A live track? I do have a few, but they all sound horrible.'
'Doesn't matter, no-one ever plays the B-side anyway. Are we done?'
- 'Well, I guess so...'

My collection: 7" single no. 510
Found: Free Record Shop, Den Haag, 1987
Cost: 6 guilders
Tracks: 'Manhattan skyline [edit]' / 'We're looking for the whales (live version)'

1 comment:

  1. Oh. I can't wait until your description on one of Enya´s singles. I hope I can contribute to one of them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising