Sunday 17 May 2009

A gentleman's excuse me - Fish

Some songs attach themselves to you and take on different, totally personal meanings. This is a good example. 'A Gentleman's excuse me' was released in May 1990, just before I got infatuated with a girl I knew. A love song in the best of traditions, with full orchestral backing, Fish hit the nail on the head with this song for me. I played it endlessly and bought all the editions that existed.

First of all, I got the standard German pressing, which was available everywhere in the Netherlands. Then at a record fair I found the limited edition red vinyl pressing from the UK, pictured below. And finally, I got the regular UK pressing with it's beautiful glossy cardboard sleeve.

'A Gentleman's excuse me' was a minor hit, peaking at number 30 in the UK and number 34 in the Netherlands. Still, I can't imagine I will ever forget this song - it's made a lasting impression on me.

My collection: 7" single no. 1207
Found: Free Record Shop, Den Haag, April 13, 1990 / Record fair, Den Haag, April 22, 1990 / Record Exchange, London, 1990
Cost: 6 guilders / 10 guilders / 1 pound
Tracks: 'A Gentleman's excuse me' / 'Whiplash'

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising