Tuesday 25 November 2008

Sounds like a melody - Alphaville

The German band Alphaville rose to fame with the song 'Big in Japan', a number 2 hit in the Netherlands in May 1984. Three months later, they released 'Sound like a melody', a song that appealed more to my taste, but less to the taste of the general public.
I can't recall how I first heard the 12" version of that song, but most likely it was because my sister bought and played it. I was most impressed: not only had the song become longer, but I felt it had also gained intensity. The instrumental piece at the end of the song was expanded and seemed to come to a point where you almost can't bear it anymore. I bought my copy of the 12" years later.

My collection: 12" single no. 464
Found: unknown
Cost: 10 guilders
Tracks: 'Sounds like a melody [extended]' / 'The Nelson Highrise (Sector One: The Elevator)'
Download: here

1 comment:

  1. a 80's masterpiece very ahead for 1984, the b-side was good too..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising