Monday 24 November 2008

Pressure - Billy Joel

Billy Joel is best known for his soppy ballads ('Honesty', 'Piano man', 'Leningrad') and his emotional anti-war statements ('Goodnight Saigon'). His work has not always been met with favourable criticism. I for one can't stand his 'Uptown girl' and 'River of dreams'. But 'Pressure' is the one song that defines Billy Joel's best work: well written, melodic and aggressive.

Throughout the eighties it was one of my favourite songs, one that I liked more than 'Goodnight Saigon' even. I bought my copy of the single in 1993, during a record fair in the Houtrusthallen in Den Haag. Those have since been torn down - a great loss.

My collection: 7" single no. 1985
Found: Record fair, Den Haag, October 17, 1993
Cost: 2 guilders
Tracks: 'Pressure' / 'Laura'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising