Sunday 13 November 2011

Dizzy miss Lizzie - Flying Lizards

In 1984, the Flying Lizards released an album consisting entirely of covers, called 'Top Ten'. The covers were deliberately done in an emotionless, harsh and robotic style. 'Dizzy miss Lizzie' was one of them, a track originally written by Larry Williams in 1958 and covered many times since, most famously by the Beatles on their 1965 album 'Help!'.

I got to know the single shortly after its release via television. A strange music video accompanied the song, which you can see below. It was this video that made me interested in the song - but I had a heard time finding the single. Instead, I bought the 12" single when I saw it years later. The B-side 'Gyrostatics' is a sonic experiment not too dissimilar from tracks by Art of Noise.



My collection: 12" single no. 180
Found: Record Exchange, London, 1993
Cost: 1 pound
Tracks: 'Dizzy miss Lizzie', 'Dizzy' / 'Gyrostatics'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising