Sunday 21 March 2010

All this time - Sting

Sting commented about 'All this time': 'It's about the death of my father, so its pretty dark as a record but on this song the words are foiled by this fairly jolly tune. That's something I like to do quite a lot, combine dark subject matter with upbeat music. No, its not based on a dream. The lyrics seem surreal, but they are all images I remembered from my home town: ferries, priests, shire horses. I grew up by the shipyards. I just wanted to escape. I suppose it was quite a surreal place, though. It is the landscape of my dreams.'

The song was released as the first single from Sting's 1991 album 'The soul cages'. It was most successful in Canada, where it reached number 1. In the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, 'All this time' peaked at number 5, whereas it reached number 13 in the Dutch Top 40 and number 22 in the UK singles chart.

My collection: 7" single no. 4707
Found: Velvet Vinyl Outlet, Leiden, March 13, 2010
Cost: 1 euro
Tracks: 'All this time' / 'I miss you Kate (instrumental)'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising