Thursday 14 January 2010

The message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

'Yo, motherfucker, yo uh-huh, gonna get your bitch, put your hands in the air, say yeah, uh-huh, yeah, fuck that bitch motherfucker, jigga with me, I'm a bad nigga, motherfucker, yo, yo, yo, uh-huh'. About 90% of all rap lyrics go like this.

What a difference, then, is 'The message'. This lyric does tell a story and it's quite critical of American society. I remember being quite impressed with this song, although I have to say these days I would never buy it anymore. I'm not impressed with any hiphop 'music' (and I'm using that last word loosely here) and gave up on it entirely. This single reached number 6 in the Dutch Top 40 and number 8 in the UK singles chart. In a time when the charts were still filled with great songs, that was quite an impressive feat.

My collection: 7" single no. 217
Found: Studio Echo, Den Haag, 1982
Cost: 5,5 guilders
Tracks: 'The message' / 'The message (instrumental)'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising