Sunday 25 October 2009

Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you) - Pet Shop Boys

The Pet Shop Boys stated that they wanted to turn 'a mythic rock song into a stomping disco record'. They recorded their version of U2's stadiumfiller 'Where the streets have no name' in combination with the disco anthem 'Can't take my eyes off you'. Singer Neil Tennant performs the lyrics with no vocal exertion or stresses, in contrast to Bono's performance. Tennant claims that when this record was released, Bono of U2 heard it for the first time, and issued the statement, 'What have we done to deserve this?'.

The B-side was 'How can you expect to be taken seriously?', a new version of a song from the album 'Behaviour'. The lyric of the song criticizes the insincere humanitarian messages of a number of pop stars during the Eighties.

My collection: 7" single no. 1429
Found: Melody Maker, Den Haag, September 13, 1991
Cost: 6 guilders
Tracks: 'Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you)' / 'How can you expect to be taken seriously?'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising