Saturday 3 October 2009

Belfast child - Simple Minds

I still remember vividly the first time I heard 'Belfast child' by the Simple Minds. It was a Saturday evening and I had a splitting headache. I'd taken a few pills to combat this, and started playing some music. As always, I'd borrowed the new cd-singles my sister had bought, and this was one of them. I was listening to this new track with a lot of attention and was very impressed with the buildup and climax near the end of the track. When the song was over, my headache was gone.

The song uses the music from the Irish folk song 'She moved through the fair', but has completely different words. Jim Kerr commented: 'I first heard the melody a few days after the Enniskillen bombing, and like everybody when you see the images I was sick. In the second part of the song, I'm trying to relate to people in Northern Ireland who lost loved ones. I'm trying to talk about the madness, the sadness and the emptiness. I'm not saying I have any pearls of wisdom, but I have a few questions to ask.' The single, released in early 1989, reached number 1 in the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands.

My collection: 7" single no. 735
Found: Free Record Shop, Den Haag, February 7, 1989
Cost: 6 guilders
Tracks: 'Belfast child' / 'Mandela Day'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising