Thursday 18 June 2009

One better world - ABC

After ABC's success with their fourth album 'Alphabet city', Martin Fry and Mark White started experimenting with the hype of the year, house music. Released in 1989, their album 'Up' was their lowest charting album to that point, reaching number 57 during a one week chart run. The first single from the album, 'One better world', didn't do much better, peaking at number 32 in the UK singles chart.

After I bought the single on the strength of the band's name, I got one of the biggest musical disappointments of my life. The superficial music with equally superficial lyrics was a total breach of everything the band had done before. As an ABC fan I expected beauty and intelligence, but unfortunately I got something that merely flirted with the flavour of the week. House music is a thing of the past now, fortunately, but this painful single remains in my collection.

My collection: 7" single no. 874
Found: Melody Maker, Den Haag, June 3, 1989
Cost: 6 guilders
Tracks: 'One better world' / 'One better world (Percapella mix)'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising