Monday 13 April 2009

I am an astronaut - Ricky Wilde

Before Kim Wilde hit it big in 1981 with 'Kids in America', starting a very successful career that still goes on to this day, father Marty Wilde tried to launch his son Ricky in the early Seventies as a child-star. The first single - as far as I know - was 1972's 'I am an astronaut', recorded when Ricky was just eleven years old. It is an extraordinary piece of work, because for all the childhood innocence in the vocals, the musical backing is quite impressive, almost psychedelic. Rumour has it that 12-year-old Kim is performing backing vocals on this track.

The single was not a big hit, although I understand Ricky had some hits in Scandinavia with this and/or other singles. This song was covered recently by Snow Patrol for a charity compilation album - and several Scandinavian covers by equally young singers do exist!

My collection: 7" single no. 3222
Found: Record fair, Utrecht, October 12, 2000
Cost: 3 guilders
Tracks: 'I am an astronaut' / 'The Hertfordshire rock'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising