Monday 23 March 2009

Diggi loo diggi ley - The Herrey's

The Swedish brothers Per, Richard and Louis Herrey were the first act to perform on stage in Luxemburg during the 1984 Eurovision Song Contest. The nonsensical title harked back to previous winning entries such as 'Boom bang-a-bang', 'Ding-a-dong' and 'La la la'.

I thought it wasn't a very spectacular song, and would have thought that Italy's Alice & Franco Battiato with 'I treni di Tozeur' would win. Instead, this song went away with victory. It's one of many occasions when I felt really disappointed with the winner in the Contest. I did buy the single, though, starting a tradition of buying winning songs in that year - although I would 'forget' to buy it in later years. The B-side is interesting for its lyric about an obsessive fan.

My collection: 7" single no. 234
Found: Wouters, Den Haag, 1984
Cost: 6 guilders
Tracks: 'Diggi loo / Diggi ley' / 'Every song you sing'

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Could you please re post this as it is one of a few 80's winners that I did not get. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising