Saturday 14 March 2009

Didn't you kill my brother? - Alexei Sayla

While Alexei Sayle's debut single ''Ullo John! Gotta new motor?' was a genuinely funny take on people with strange dialects saying the oddest things, I didn't quite 'get' 'Didn't you kill my brother?'.

As I've only recently found out, the single was the theme song of an episode of the satirical Comic Strip TV comedy series in which Alexei Sayle plays both halves of a pair of gangster twins, not so loosely modelled on the Kray twins, the notorious Moss brothers Carl and Sterling. The episode also remakes Bicycle Thieves whilst lampooning British liberal values. Produced by Sayle and Chaz Jankel, the single was a flop.

My collection: 7" single no. 333
Found: LP Top 100, Den haag, 1985
Cost: 5,5 guilders
Tracks: 'Didn't you kill my brother?' / 'Dedicated'

1 comment:

  1. You don't happen to have his '86 single 'Meanwhile' b/w 'Advertising'?

    Anyway keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising