Wednesday 11 March 2009

Another brick in the wall part 2 - Pink Floyd

'Another brick in the wall (part 2)' is a protest song against rigid schooling in general and boarding schools in particular. It led to the song being banned in South Africa and several other countries. It was a number 1 hit for Pink Floyd in the UK, peaking at number 3 in the Netherlands.

For this track, Pink Floyd needed a school choir. Producer Bob Ezrin asked sound engineer Nick Griffiths to find one. Griffiths approached music teacher Alun Renshaw of Islington Green School, around the corner from their Britannia Row Studios.

When I went to English class for the first time, when I was nine years old, the teacher asked if we knew any words in English. 'Another brick in the wall' was the first phrase I came up with. The teacher assumed I didn't know what those words meant - but I did. 'We don't need no education', indeed.

My collection: 7" single no. 3201
Found: Record fair, September 30, 2000
Cost: 2 guilders
Tracks: 'Another brick in the wall (part 2)' / 'One of my turns'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising