Wednesday 21 January 2009

Love really hurts without you - Billy Ocean

'State alternatives wherever possible'. This line was famous in the eighties, when I was ordering records in the UK via mail order. Back then, you just sent your order form with some money and hoped you would receive the singles you ordered two weeks later. I was usually lucky, and so my alternative was never used. I always wrote down 'Love really hurts without you' by Billy Ocean, because I knew the song and in time I knew I wanted to have it, but I wasn't that hot for it. Well, that's a fact: I finally bought the single in a shop in 2003 and only played it this year for the first time.

Leslie Sebastian Charles was born in Trinidad on January 21, 1950 (exactly 59 years ago today) and moved to England with his parents at the age of eight. In 1975 he took on the stage name Billy Ocean, taking the surname from the 'Ocean Estate' where he lived in East London. His debut single, 'Love really hurts without you', reached number 2 in the UK singles chart, number 11 in the Netherlands and number 22 in the US Billboard Hot 100.

My collection: 7" single no. 3390
Found: Geest, Den Haag, 2003
Cost: 1 euro
Tracks: 'Love really hurts without you' / 'You're running outa fools'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising