Wednesday 3 December 2008

When the Gap Band hit the charts in 1980 with 'Oops upside your head' I found it at least an irritating song. My sister liked it, and to my disgust she actually bought the single too. To me, it was a bunch of people talking and laughing over what should be a good tune. Later in life I would learn this is the nature of hiphop - a music style I would never get into.

The next year things went just the other way around: 'Burn rubber' was a tune I really liked, while my sister couldn't understand what attracted me to this. I felt the guys had learnt to sing somewhat, and on the whole it had more of a song structure. I bought a copy of the song - obviously to my sisters disgust. My brother managed to talk me out of the custom Mercury sleeve - so now I'm stuck with a standard 'Vroom & Dreesman' sleeve for this single, manufactured at that time by the Dutch warehouse of the same name.

My collection: 7" single no. 83
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, 1981
Cost: 1 guilder
Tracks: 'Burn rubber on me' / 'Nothin' comes to sleepers'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising