Monday 1 December 2008

Vienna - Ultravox

In 1981, I thought Ultravox was the best band in the world. In some ways, I still think that. But back then, I was totally enchanted by the song 'Vienna' and its interesting video. I'd been to Vienna on holiday with my parents the year before and I was always trying to figure out where they had filmed the scenes. One part of it was easy: the cemetary in Vienna is famous for its buildings and beautiful graves - one of which is featured on the sleeve of the single. I would come to visit that grave, too, because we went back to Vienna that summer. But the other scenes I couldn't identify. I have recently found out that Ultravox filmed those scenes in England. A great disappointment... Vienna is the title track of the equally great album, a landmark in pop history.

I bought the single twice: once in 1981 and once in 1998. The latter was a clear vinyl version, released in the UK.

My collection: 7" single no. 82 / no. 3061
Found: Disco Market, Den Haag, 1981 / Record Exchange, London, 1999
Cost: 2 guilders / 3 pounds
Tracks: 'Vienna' / 'Passionate reply'
Download: Compilation album 'Dancing with tears in my eyes', including both tracks (Part One / Part Two)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising