Thursday 13 November 2008

Shine a little love - Electric Light Orchestra

One of the most popular bands of the Seventies was probably Electric Light Orchestra. Their albums were full of spectacular soundscapes and the singles were invariably big hits. As I explained in a previous entry, the shop where I bought my singles in the late Seventies discounted ex-chart tracks. I don't know what happened in my mind, exactly, when I bought this single. 'Don't let me down' was high in the charts and I really wanted to have that song. I was very excited when I found this in the discount section. I must have misread or misunderstood the title, because when I played the single at home it didn't sound like 'Don't let me down' at all. I think I didn't play this single for months afterwards, angry at myself for this stupid mistake.

Still, 'Shine a little love' is a great song as well. It was taken from ELO's 1979 album 'Discovery', and made number 6 in the UK and number 10 in the Netherlands in the summer of 1979. The song was sampled in the track 'Shine' by the Lovefreekz in 2004.
The b-side, 'Jungle', was apparently a single candidate at some point, although the record company decided against it. Read more about the story of that track on this page.

My collection: 7" single no. 21
Found: Wouters, Den Haag, 1979
Cost: 3 guilders
Tracks: 'Shine a little love' / 'Jungle'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising