Thursday 27 November 2008

Everybody's got to learn sometime - Korgis

It's hard to imagine now, but in the days before the internet, there were ways of getting singles from abroad. One of those ways was Oldies Unlimited, a mail order company based in the UK where one could order 7" and 12" singles. This was in the days before cd's, mind. I used to go to the post office, exchange guilders for pounds and then send letters to the UK containing a few five or ten pound notes and my order form. A week or so later I would get a parcel with records. Every time it felt like Christmas.

However, there were also disappointments. Like this one: I ordered a copy of the Korgis 'Everybody's got to learn sometime', and got a copy in a plain yellow sleeve instead of a photo cover. It's the music that counts, but still... I didn't get what I expected. That's the one thing about mail ordering from abroad via snail mail: you never went back with a complaint, because that was too expensive to begin with.

My collection: 7" single no. 336
Found: Oldies Unlimited, UK, 1985
Cost: 1 pound
Tracks: 'Everybody's got to learn sometime' / 'Dirty postcards'
Download: here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising