Saturday 15 November 2008

The best of the Top 40 of the year - Various artists

I don't know what the occasion was, but I remember I got this double lp in the summer of 1979. The way I remember it, it was the first lp that was my own, because this one was bought in the shop as opposed to earlier lp's I got, previously owned by my parents. This album contains no less than 32 hits of the year 1978 and although I was at first a bit disappointed at the track listing (I missed my favourite artists of that time, Kate Bush and Abba and others), I played these two discs a lot. Now that I've listened to it again I can hear that it hasn't survived the years too well.

Some sounds of that lp have become etched in my memory forever. I will always define 1978 by tracks like 'Dancing in the city', 'Follow me', Windsurfin'' and 'Let's all chant'. I consider this to be the actual start of my obsession with pop music - and records.
My collection: LP no. 7
Found: as a present, 1979
Cost: -
Tracks:
Side 1: Let's all chant (Michael Zager Band) / Dancing in the city (Marshall Hain) / Red Hot (Robert Gordon) / Every 1's a winner (Hot Chocolate) / Only a fool (Mighty Sparrow) / Ragtime Piano Joe (Peter Straker) / Malibu (Patricia Paay) / Copacabana (Barry Manilow)
Side 2: Nutbush city limits (Ike & Tina Turner) / Boogie Oogie Oogie (A taste of honey) / You and I (Rick James) / Fool (Chris Rea) / If I had words (Scott Fitzgerald & Yvonne Keeley) / For a few dollars more (Smokie) / If you can't give me love (Suzi Quatro) / It's raining (Darts)
Side 3: Three times a lady (Commodores) / Follow me (Amanda Lear) / Angel of the morning (Guys & Dolls) / Put your love in me (Hot Chocolate) / More than a woman (Tavares) / Baker street (Gerry Rafferty) / Windsurfin' (The Surfers) / Hold on (Bolland & Bolland)
Side 4: I put a spell on you (Dee Dee) / Wet day in September (Pussycat) / Realite (Next One) / Rosita (George Baker) / She was too young (The Cats) / Round in circles (Highlight) / It's only a matter of time (Breeze) / Floral Dance (Brighouse & Rastrick Band)
Download: Disc One, Disc Two

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Advertising